Homemade Baked Beans Recipe
This is my favorite since I love the sweetness of the honey and molasses mixed with a punch of mustard.
•1.5 lbs (3 cups) dried small white beans, or navy beans
•2.5 cups chicken broth
•1 tablespoon salt
•1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
•1/2 cup honey
•1/2 cup molasses
•2 tablespoons dried mustard
•Optional: 2 garlic cloves, minced
•Optional: sautéed chopped onion
1. Soak navy beans overnight. I’ve soaked longer — up to 12 hours — for even softer baked beans. See How to Soak and Cook Dried Beans for lots of background info on why you’ve gotta soak your beans.
2. Drain beans and rinse off. Put beans into Crock Pot or slow cooker.
3. Add all the ingredients from your preferred baked beans recipe.
4. Stir all ingredients together.
5. Cover Crock Pot and cook 6-7 hours on high, or 10-12 hours on low. These slow cooking times are approximate, so cook until the beans are soft and the sauce is rich. Add water to the Crock Pot, if needed.
Eyeball Warning: If you like your eyeballs, then do yourself a solid and refrain from opening the lid during the early hours of cooking. Dried mustard is volatile stuff, and the fumes will burn your pupils if you dare peep into the pot.
6. Serve on toast for breakfast, with scrambled eggs for lunch, or as a side dish with dinner. Enjoy!