For honey harissa dressing
- 1⁄4 cup flaxseed oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp honey mustard
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 tsp harissa paste
- 1⁄2 tsp sea salt
- 1⁄4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 tsp cinnamon
For the salad
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3⁄4″ cubes
- 1 540-ml can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup beluga black lentils
- 1 cup red quinoa, rinsed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1⁄2 cup chopped toasted pecan halves
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves + more for garnish
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄3 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
1 Preheat the oven to 375°F. In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the honey harissa dressing.
2 Toss 1⁄4 cup of the dressing with the sweet potatoes and spread out onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Toss another 2 tablespoons of the dressing with the chickpeas and spread out onto another parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Place both baking sheets in the oven and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender.
3 In a small pot, bring the beluga lentils and 4 cups cold water to a simmer. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes, until the lentils are tender. Drain, rinse and place in a large bowl, along with the roasted sweet potatoes and chickpeas.
4 Meanwhile, in another small pot, bring the red quinoa and 4 cups water to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer for 12 minutes. Drain the quinoa and let dry in the sieve for 2 minutes. Add to the sweet potato mixture.
5 Stir in the green onions, pumpkin seeds, pecans, mint and cranberries. Drizzle with the remaining dressing and toss gently to combine. Place the warm salad on a large serving platter and garnish with the fresh pomegranate seeds and mint leaves. Serve.
Note: I used regular quinoa, and green lentils, don’t overcook the lentils, they are done sooner than you think. I’d double the dressing too to have extra!!